Sunday, August 18, 2019

Daniel Jones

To say that I was upset when the Giants chose Daniel Jones with the #6 overall pick would be a massive understatement. I was ready to keel haul Dave Gettleman and feed Pat Shurmur to a hungry shark.

Using the #6 pick for Jones while edge rusher Josh Allen was still on the board struck me as an exercise in insanity.

Now we have two pre-season games done and I also saw Jones at a charity softball event where he played 2nd base and hit a home run to boot.

Granted that Jones has played against 2nd and 3rd string defensive players and the pass rush against him has been fairly light, still, I'm going to admit that I may have been wrong.

He has looked pretty impressive. He's throw bullets with a ball placement accuracy that looks pretty darn good.

But the thing that has impressed me most is after a string of disasters against the Bears, including two fumbles and a dropped pass, he came back and put ten points on the board.

Of course pre-season is not the NFL and there is a long ways to go. Josh Allen would have made an immediate impact on an anemic Giants' pass rush and Jones is a future investment. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: