Wednesday, July 31, 2019

What is Racism?

I no longer understand what constitutes “racism.” Is it what you say or why you say it? If it’s the former does that mean whenever I criticize a black person or black culture I’m being racist? That’s ridiculous.
It makes much more sense to me to say that “racism” is determined by WHY you say things. If I criticize someone BECAUSE they’re black then that’s racism.
I suppose that if I apply the negative behavior or stereotypes of individuals or small groups to everyone of a given race, that’s racism as well. You know, like black people say all whites are racist.
I don’t give a crap what color you are or where you come from but I reserve the right to criticize things I don’t like regardless of what color you are or where you come from.
Let’s talk about Baltimore for a second. Like many large urban areas it’s a tale of two cities. When I take the train from Newark down to Fort Meade or Washington it passes through areas of Baltimore that are seriously in need of work, The buildings look like they’re falling apart and there is trash all over the streets. This needs to be addressed. People should not have to live in such conditions.
Then you go to the Inner Harbor and the area is gorgeous. Everything looks clean and new. It’s difficult to believe that the two areas are part of the same town. Yet such contrasts are not that unusual in American cities.
So am I a racist because I think some areas of Baltimore look run down?
Now let's talk about "the Squad." I would gladly pay for a ticket to send Ilhan Omar anywhere she wants to go as long as it's outside the US. I hear Antarctica is nice this time of year. I might also be persuaded to buy a ticket for Tlaib.
I don't care for their opinions and I certainly would never vote for either of them.
I have my doubts about AOC but I'm not ready to give up on her just yet and I don't really know enough about Pressley to have an opinion.
So, does this make me a racist? If so, then so be it.

No comments: