Thursday, November 12, 2009

Things I am absolutely certain about

This is a really short list. It contains only one item. The only thing that I am absolutely certain about is that I’m going to die.

That’s a depressing thought isn’t it? I’m not as concerned about being dead as I am about the process involved. The transition could be extremely unpleasant. The concept of a world without me is very strange especially considering that in 100 years no one will even remember that I existed.

I don’t have a problem with that. I don’t feel any particular need for fame or notoriety. I’ve been in highly visible positions and have discovered that it simply makes you vulnerable to criticism. I’ve learned not to bother unless it’s really important and worth the grief that is sure to be involved.

So, what about the idea of an afterlife? Nah, I doubt it, although you never know. My idea of the perfect afterlife would be one where I’m free of bodily restrictions and the restrictions of time and space. An afterlife that would allow me to explore all knowledge, go back and witness the great moments in history, and discover the secrets of the universe.

This would be an appropriately eternal task worthy of the eternity of creation. My only real regret in having to die is that there are so many things I still don’t know and so many things that I won’t be able to accomplish.

I’ll probably have regrets at the end. Like the 13th Warrior I’ll need to ask forgiveness for the things I should have done but have not done, for the things I should have said but have not said and, most distressing of all, for the things I should have thought but have not thought.

But I’m not dead yet and, like Phil Ochs said, I won’t be able to add my name into the fight when I’m gone so I might as well do it while I’m here.

No comments: