Thursday, July 10, 2008

Did I miss the Election?

Did I somehow miss the 2008 Presidential election? The way the media is focusing on Barack Obama and his intended policies you’d think it was a done deal.

It’s not.

I’ve been around too long not to realize it ain’t over till it’s over. Even if the Republicans weren’t especially skilled at manufacturing nonsense issues (he didn’t wear a flag pin and gay marriage for example) and even if the majority of the American electorate didn’t have a level of intelligence an eyelash above a retarded rabbit, it’s a long way until November and a lot can happen.

I’d like to get the preliminaries out of the way and get to the debates. I’m unhappy about Obama’s decision to continue Bush’s Faith Based Initiative but I’m still a long way from wanting another four years of Republican fiscal and diplomatic irresponsibility.

Besides, I’m dying to see who they’re going to pick for Vice Presidential candidates.

I think the Republicans might actually be considering nominating a woman. I think that would be a magnificent strategy in an effort to woo away disgruntled female Clinton supporters. The only problem is would those Clinton supporters go for a pro-life female? Somehow I doubt it and I can’t see the Republicans going with a pro-choice female.

The two women mentioned most are Condoleezza Rice and Governor Sarah Palin from Alaska. Rice to my mind is as guilty over the Iraq war as Bush is and I think even the pussy Democrats would rip her to shreds over it.

From the little I know about Palin she sounds like a fairly typical right wing conservative but she doesn’t strike me as being ridiculous about it. She’s strongly pro-life and is a lifetime member of the NRA. On the plus side she vetoed a bill that would have barred the state from giving employment benefits to gays and their partners, most likely because her attorney general clued her in that it was probably illegal.

As an ex-Miss Congeniality in the Miss Alaska pageant, I suspect she would drive Ann Coulter to fits of insane jealousy if she got the nomination. That alone would be worth the price of admission.

The other two possibilities I hear a lot about are Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee. I have this feeling that choosing the Mormon Romney would just about guarantee that lots of Evangelicals stay home on election day.

Evangelicals might get excited over Huckabee but I don’t think his religious pitch would go over well in a general election. Then again, if a candidate comes across as honest and sincere, Americans tend to overlook religion. This wouldn’t work in Romney’s case since I don’t think he can radiate the kind of sincerity Huckabee does.

In the end the safest bet for McCain might be to pick someone a little less extreme, in other words another white male. Charlie Crist of Florida would be a good choice except I’ve heard some in the Republican Party think he might be gay because he never married. Wouldn’t that be something?

On the Democratic side I think it’s essential that Obama not do anything overly dramatic. Nominating a woman for VP might hurt him more than help him. I'd say go with Bill Richardson of New Mexico but I’m not sure the country could handle a black-hispanic ticket just like I don’t think it could handle a black-female ticket.

I think Obama needs a nice white male swing state governor for VP, like maybe Tim Kaine of Virginia.

No comments: