Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thoughts on the Death of Jerry Falwell

It’s quite possible that we agreed upon absolutely nothing (unless he happened to like chocolate ice cream). I think his demonizing the gay minority was a betrayal of American values as well as a betrayal of the values espoused by Jesus of Nazareth, the man Falwell claimed as his savior. I think the country is weaker because of his misleading evangelical Christians into supporting the questionable political positions associated with his homophobia. I think those misled evangelical Christians, in the final analysis, will be the ones to suffer most from his demagoguery.

In other words, I’m not going to shed any tears over his demise. Still, although I hated everything he stood for, at least I always knew where he stood. I’m sure there are many that will miss him. I’m just not one of them.

So long Jerry. I know you aren’t basking in the glory of God, but here’s hoping you’re not languishing in hell for threatening so many of God’s children with that fate.

No comments: