Friday, April 28, 2006

Nuestro Himno

"Nuestro Himno" is Spanish for "Our Anthem" and it's the title of a Spanish language recording of the Star Spangled Banner by a group of Latin pop stars.

My reaction? While Hispanic folks are, have been and, I'm certain, will continue to be important to this country, and will make significant contributions to this country, they better learn English.

You'll excuse me, but that's the official language of the country, and the unofficial language of the world, so get used to the idea. In an impromptu internet poll, 81% of over 75,000 respondents felt this represented a rejection of assimilation. I agree and I suggest the recording get relegated to the Museum of Really Bad Ideas.

(Ooops, as pointed out by a number of folks, the United States has NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. I still thinks it's a good idea to learn English, but hey, like they say, it's a free country, so if you don't want to, I guess you don't have to.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that the United States has an official language.

Alencon said...

You are absolutely correct. I stand corrected, the United States has NO official language.

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»