Friday, July 03, 2026

World Cup Round of 16

 Well, it's on to the Round of 16.

July 4th

Canada-0 Morocco-3

Paraguay-0 France-1

July 5th

Brazil-1 Norway-2

Mexico-2 England-3

July 6th

Portugal-0 Spain-1

USA-1 Belgium-4

July 7th

Argentina-3 Egypt-2

Switzerland-0(4) Columbia-0(3)


Notes

Norway taking Brazil was a shock, but a nice shock. 

With Canada gone, and Mexico trailing at the 70' mark, there's a very real danger that we could lose all three host countries in this round. Mexico has now lost 3-2 after England fought off 20 minutes of assaults while a man down.

Spain has moved past Portugal with a late goal.

Belgium has jumped ahead of the US 1-0 early in the match. I suppose the Belgians are pissed that Balogun's red card was overturned. I don't blame them. I'd be pissed too. Honestly I'd rather lose without Balogun than win with him. Belgium has taken out the US, so all three hosts exit in the Round of 16. I guarantee that won't happen in 2030.

I came upstairs from working out and discovered that Egypt is on the verge of eliminating Argentina. They're up 2-0 in the 75th minute. Now this is going to be a really big deal. Of course the odds still give Argentina a 4% of winning and a 13% chance of it going to Extra Time. In the 79th minute Argentina has scored o make it 2-1 so here we go. Argentina tied it in the 83rd minute. Lionel Messi tied it up. Talk about insane. Argentina took the lead in the 94th minute 3-2. Argentina wins 3-2. Now that was a tough loss for Egypt. I feel for them.

Again, I was watching the Switzerland v. Columbia game and had to go eat dinner with the penalties at 1-1. Congrats to the Swiss winning it 4-3.

No comments: