Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Mea Culpa

I'm embarrassed to have gotten so sidetracked. Hey, trust me, I had good reason for it but I'm going to try and do better in the future.

I bother to write this blog for two reasons. The first is to keep the few writing skills I have as sharp as possible. The second is to have a record of what I was thinking about stuff when it was happening. Yes, you're right, it's basically a diary.

Heaven knows that no one else actually reads it and that's more than OK with me. I really don't need to waste my time responding to internet trolls.

But I have been remiss recently.

The presidential nomination races are drawing close to the end game. Barring some convention shenanigans it looks like Trump vs. Clinton. If ever a presidential campaign threatened to expose all that is wrong and ugly with the United States, this is the one.

It's going to be much worse than 2008 and 2012 because, while I had my issued with both McCain and Romney, they were at least gentlemen of reasonable integrity.

Trump is a loud mouthed bully that is used to being in a position where he can intimidate everyone around him. He's much better suited to a clown act than the Oval Office.

But here's the REALLY scary thing.

If someone held a gun to my head, dragged me to the voting booth, said "vote Republican or I'll blow your brains out" and Trump was on the ballot, I'd pull the lever. If Ted Cruz was on the ballot I'd say "pull the fucking trigger."

Cruz is an utterly horrible excuse for a human being and his father is even worse. This is a perfect example of the apple not falling far from the tree.

As for Clinton, she leaves a sour taste in my mouth but I supported her through the Democratic primary process because, given her experience as Secretary of State, I believe she's better qualified than Bernie to be president.

So I'm going to hold my nose and pull the lever next to Clinton's name and I'll do it probably twice. Once in the New Jersey primary and once in November.

No comments: