Friday, August 15, 2014

FIFA to be Sued over Refs

A Colombian lawyer, Aurelio Jimenez by name, says he intends to sue FIFA over the poor performance of the refs during the world cup.

According to Jimenez he suffered "moral damages" over poor decisions by the ref in the Colombia v. Brazil quarter final. "I felt very bad, I was heartbroken, my cardiac rhythm was altered and my relatives took me to the emergency room at the hospital. I was surrounded by my grandchildren who were crying a lot."

The 74-year old Jimenez says "I decided to sue FIFA in the Colombian judiciary system because in the past world soccer championship in Brazil, there were many wrongdoings related to referees who damaged many countries and their selections, among them the Colombia team. Moreover, FIFA's referees caused big moral damages and distress to Chile, Uruguay, Colombia, England, Uruguay, Mexico and Costa Rica."

Well, yeah, but don't "moral damages" sort of go with the territory in sports?

I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole and I suspect, if he does file suit, that the Colombian courts will toss it out. Buy, hey, I know how he feels. There have been times when I felt like treating an NFL ref or two to a good old fashioned tar and feathering.

Then I remember that it's just a game (Here's hoping I don't find myself eating those words this NFL season).

No comments: