Friday, September 05, 2008

So Now What?

Ok, the convention shows are over, the confetti and balloons have been swept into the garbage bin and the tickets are set.

Sarah Pain has tuned out, at least so far, to be as good a pick for McCain as I said even though she’s probably not such a great pick for the country. At the same time I’m still feeling a little shaky about exactly where Obama is heading. I agreed with much of his speech but I found other parts promising more than he could possibly deliver.

My early enthusiasm for Obama has pretty much evaporated and I’m even beginning to think Hillary might have been the better choice. Ah well, too late for that now.

I find McCain to be not such a bad guy and in the final analysis I could probably live with him as President. I’m having more trouble with Palin, who supposedly supports teaching creationism in the public schools and thinks Global Warming is a farce. Then again, if you’re from Alaska I can sort of understand the Global Warming thing assuming you’re an ignoramus living in a trailer park swilling beers all day.

In general, Palin seems to not understand, or not trust, scientific input and that’s a really bad attribute. Just look at George Bush. Her acceptance speech was damn good if you’re into mocking satire but I saw little or nothing of substance in it. I think that sorts of sums up Palin in my opinion, all show and no substance.

On the other side Biden is solid. I just wish the ticket was reversed with Biden in the #1 spot and Obama the VP candidate.

Alright let’s move on to the debates. I’m fairly confident Obama is going to run rings around McCain. If there’s a danger it’s that he will come across as too slick and McCain will be viewed as plodding but steady and solid. There are a lot of people that would prefer the tortoise to the hare and with good reason.

On the VP side I think Joe is in for a tough night. Palin, because she’s a female, can say stuff that a man would never get away with (witness her acceptance speech) and just bring forth chuckles. If Biden goes the same route they’ll crucify him. Best bet there is for Joe to stick to the facts and just the facks. If she plays the mocking card again it will backfire if placed against someone else who’s addressing the issues.

Needless to say they’ll elect a Jewish Pope before I’ll vote for a Republican. The question is will I vote for Obama or sit this one out because I can’t support either ticket?

No comments: