Friday, December 07, 2007

Romney’s Mormon Speech

Mitt said all of the right things if he wanted to assuage the concerns of Evangelical Christians. He said all of the wrong things for those of us that would prefer a purely secular government but, then again, very few of us are going to vote Republican anyway.

If I had a major problem with anything Romney said, it was his statement that “Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom.”

I would agree that religion requires freedom but freedom clearly does not require religion. As a matter of fact I think it’s safe to say that freedom is a whole lot safer without religion. Just look at the Theocracies of the world and tell me which of them are “free?”

But in terms of why I’m not going to vote for Romney or Huckabee this is all sort of beside the point. If I was going to disqualify a candidate because they claim to be religious I wouldn’t be able to vote for anyone. I disqualify Romney because I think that his insistence that he accepts his Mormon faith has to include accepting the Book of Mormon as true. In my opinion, the overwhelming scientific evidence is that the Book of Mormon is a load of nonsense made up by a fast talking con man. To my mind accepting the truth of the Book of Mormon in the face of the evidence demonstrates horribly unreliable judgment.

You have to be willing to re-evaluate your beliefs based upon new evidence! If you’re not willing to do so you don’t deserve to be the President of the United States. Hell, you don’t deserve to have your own hot dog cart. This is one of the major problems with the current administration. Bush and his cronies continue to believe what they believe regardless of mounting evidence that they are freaking WRONG!

We saw this demonstrated with Global Warming, we saw it demonstrated with Iraq and now we’re seeing it demonstrated with Iran. When are we going to figure out that this is a REALLY bad way to run anything but especially a really bad way to run a country? And we want to elect someone else that thinks this way?

Is it possible I'm wrong about the Book of Mormon or the direction the evidence points? Sure it is, but if I can't make decisions based upon my own ability to reason and analyze questions, what can I base them upon?

Huckleberry Hound has the same freaking problem with evolution. Read the lips of every reputable scientific organization in the country. Evolution is a fact and Intelligent Design is religion and not science. Even the court in Dover Pennsylvania made it clear that ID was just warmed over Creationism yet Huckabee still takes the position that ID should be taught as an alternate scientific theory.

This is the same problem on a different topic. We don’t need any more of this we really don’t. How about we start to grow up and at least try to make decisions in this country based upon the facts, regardless of how unpleasant we might find those facts to be.

Would I overlook these idiosyncracies if I didn't disagree with these two guys on just about every other question? I doubt it. Rightly or wrongly I consider the questionable judgment displayed by these two points of critical importance.

No comments: