Monday, August 18, 2008

Concert too Sexy?

According to the AP this AM a conservative Muslim group in Malaysia is petitioning the government to cancel an Avril Lavigne concert because they claim that the Canadian singer’s moves are “too sexy.”

A quote from a party official stated "We don't want our people, our teenagers, influenced by their performance. We want clean artists, artists that are good role models."

Well, if that is your opinion, you are entitled not to attend the concert and not to allow your children to attend the concert. My question is why does religion feel the necessity to force its opinion on everyone else?

Perhaps others disagree with your assessment. What gives you the right to decide for everyone?

I don’t even know who Avril Lavigne is, and I probably wouldn’t be caught dead at one of her concerts myself, but I’m not about to try and make that decision for everybody.

Yes, yes, I understand the concept that some things can have a negative impact on society as a whole and therefore it is reasonable to work for prohibition in order to avoid the bad effects of that negative impact. The problem is identifying which things matter and which things don’t.

The problem here is that there is no consolidated opinion on what constitutes a “negative impact.” If there where, then no one would attend the concert anyway so clearly there is significant disagreement, at least enough to make it financially worthwhile to hold the concert in the first place.

So I go back to my original, question, what gives religion the right to decide for everyone?

No comments: