Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Obesity Report 2007

The Trust for America’s Health has released its latest report about obesity in America and the outlook is not good. Obesity rates went up in 31 states and didn’t go down anywhere. The state with the highest obesity rate was Mississippi at 30.6 percent. Colorado remained the thinnest state but its rate went up from 16.9 to 17.6 percent.

Again this year the South did absolutely horrible dominating the group of most obese states while the West and Northeast tended to be the least overweight.

New Jersey ranked 40th in adult obesity but was also ranked 9th in lack of physical activity. That’s probably means bad news down the road. Indiana was tied for 9th in adult obesity with Michigan and Oklahoma.

To be honest, I really can’t talk. I’ve gained 8 pounds in the last two years and I’m having a heck of a time getting rid of it gym or no gym. At least I can say I engage in physical activity, I just have to cut out the snacks I guess.

I don’t buy the trend that everyone has his or her comfortable weight so having a few extra pounds is no big deal. It’s a big deal. I recognize that and I know what I need to do to shed it, I’m just too lazy to do it.

Looks like the rest of the country falls into that category too. It’s all evolution’s fault. Our bodies are programmed to store fat when food is plentiful so we won’t starve when it becomes scarce. Natural Selection didn’t anticipate a situation where food is always plentiful.

Or do you think God set it up this way?

No comments: