Monday, March 06, 2006

The 78th Academy Awards

Good Lord that was awful. I don’t usually watch but my wife was on the computer and I didn’t feel like reading, so I said what the heck. Yuck. I’d never seen Jon Stewart before and I never want to see him again! He was absolutely dreadful; I think 100% of his so-called jokes fell flat.

Then I’d like to meet the bozo that thought the take-offs on political advertising related to campaigning for the Academy Awards was funny. I found it embarrassing and, as far as Dame Judi Dench was concerned, downright insulting.

And who talked Tom Hanks and Ben Stiller into doing those idiotic shticks about the thank-you speech length and green screens? Talk about DUMB! I would have preferred longer thank-you speeches.

As far as the awards were concerned, who knows? I had only seen “Good Night and Good Luck” of the nominated movies so who could tell? I did get to hear all three songs of course and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when “It’s Hard out Here for a Pimp” won. It was by far the best song. Other than that, I was glad for Philip Seymour Hoffman when he won for Best Performance by an Actor. He’s always a done good job and I’m glad he took advantage of his big opportunity.

I was a little surprised that “Crash” won for best picture, but that was more based upon all the hoopla than any personal knowledge.

So, did watching the awards show make me want to run out and see any of the flicks I’ve missed? Not really, with the possible exception of “Capote,” but I wanted to see that even before the show.

I think next year I’ll just read about it the day after like I usually do.

2 comments:

RC said...

Interesting that you found the Judi Dench slam ads etc insulting...

also, I gotta admit...I thought the Ben Stiller presentation was hillarious...lighten up.

(I agree though the Tom Hanks one was pretty lame)

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Alencon said...

LOL! Fair enough, maybe I was in a bad mode. I'll lighten up.